Friday, August 21, 2009

It is a Jungle out there

Don't let anyone tell you photography isn't a dangerous hobby. Did you know that Yellow Jackets will give you a pass the first time you step on their home? The second time is a real ass kicker though! I was taking pictures of insects and such trying to get a picture of a dragonfly. I do this because I think these guys are cool.





Anyway I stalked him into the brush and he stopped on a leaf an waited for me to setup the camera and start to focus in. Then my leg caught on FIRE! Needless to say I forgot all about Mr. Dragonfly. And started to put some distance between me and Mr. Yellow jacket. Now I am a big man but when properly motivated I can move like Barry Sanders. Mr. Yellow Jacket


was keeping up until I hit third gear and started pulling away. I got into the house and was doing my best to breath as I had just sprinted about 400 yards. As I was huffing she says to me what are those bugs on your shirt? YEP... She beat me with the flyswat and sprayed me with bug spray. And all the while I am trying to get out of the shirt! So now I am sitting here high on Benadryl and Ibuprofen. My leg is swollen like elephant boy from the several dozen sting sites. But it was a pretty good day considering. I did get a good picture of a spider.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice pics! Reminds me of when I was a kid, there was a small, marshy area near my house, a small stream that ran down to the river, about 8 city blocks long by 1 city block wide. To a 12 year old boy it was heaven; turtles and minnies, dragonflies and frogs, cat tails and wild elderberry trees, weeds so high a small boy could lose himself in them and imagine he was in the vast jungle, hunting tiger. A whole lot of stuff going on, espcecially on a summer day when everything was singing. I used to walk along the banks of the little stream, exmining baby snapper turtles, trying, usually without success, to catch a minnow or a frog in my hands. Thanks for the memory jog.

    Walt Erickson
    verse-afire

    PS - This is an inconvenient way to invite comments. I had to create a google account to do so. Doesn't blogger allow you to just post a comment (like Wordpress does) without having to create a Follower account somewher? Another tip: have a "contact me" link to your email address. I'm going to you on my blogroll. Very nice site and I like what I've seen so far. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was cutting down a dead maple tree for kindling wood, (splits beautifully down to matchstick-size) focusing on the chainsaw, thus did not notice I had dropped a hive nearby!

    Like you, the sprint commenced, but since I was completely covered, from my boots to Levis, to Fatigue Jacket, I escaped unscathed.
    Not sure why my face was missed.
    Dumb luck, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Walt. I will look into the acct requirement thing. As this blogging gig is new to me and I am doing a lot of reading to find all the levers and buttons.

    ReplyDelete